Thursday, September 29, 2011

Days 15, (-6 pounds), 16, and 17


Well, it's been such a busy week. I knew it would be. In between work and everything else, I have been enjoying my new book, Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It's principles basically follow the word of wisdom cited in the scriptures. The food pyramid is BRILLIANT, and is totally off from the one they teach in schools and that the government provides. Isn't it interesting that people that sit on the USDA - the ones that make up the nutritional guidelines for us as a country, have vested interests in the meat and dairy councils of America. If you want to learn more about the science behind nutrition, this is a great book. I'm learning so much about "phytochemicals", the nutrients in plants that are so important to our bodies. I'm fascinated by it, and am enjoying learning.

As far as my eating this week, I continue to press forward. Monday I made a big pot of my lentil stew so we had that a few times. Did I mention my mom is staying with us for a little bit?? I have realized our food will not go as far now, but that's ok since she is helping with the prep work and cooking.

I found these ready to eat lentils at Trader Joe's that I put on my salad on Monday, they are so good! My other favorite thing is the dried blueberries from Costco. I put some in my oatmeal with a some walnuts and oat milk, and it is so good. I don't even need the Stevia anymore! They do have a tiny bit of oil added, but it says there is no fat. I may search around to see if I can find another brand with no trace fats, but until then these are awesome!

Jason made an AWESOME salsa that you can put over salads or dip chips into. I found these chips at Sprouts, 4 grams of fat per 13 chips which isn't bad, and Jason loves them. They are multi-seed chips so they have flax and chia in them. Last night my mom made the bean enchiladas from Dr. Fuhrman's book - very tasty and great flavor. They were a bit dry with the corn tortillas, so next time I will cut up some tomatoes and maybe onion to sprinkle on top. We will definitely make them again.

Tomorrow I will post some recipes since I've been getting requests for those. I will have more time tomorrow. I will post the black bean and quinoa recipe, the lentil stew, and Jason's salsa. If you are reading this and have any other requests, let me know and I will post it!

Here's the weight loss count: (Jason and mom are weighing themselves everyday. Me - just on Mondays.

Jason - 9 pounds as of this morning. Way to go babe! Are you kidding me? He is rocking this!!
Mom - 7 pounds as of this morning. Seriously? This woman has had more vegetables this week then in her whole life! haha
Drea - 6 pounds as of Monday - 4 days ago. Works for me.... My scrub bottoms are falling off. haha


3 comments:

Angela said...

Honestly, I can't believe it's only 6 pounds! You really are looking healthy and vibrant! I wish I had learned (or heard about) these things sooner. But for now I will try to slowly implement some of these things! It definitely takes planning I can tell. I'm glad mom is there to help you prepare, even though she might be eating it all for lunch the next day! haha I'm excited to continue following your journey, and hopefully have my own kind of journey with you. Love you! =)

Sheila said...

I'm sure you girls don't feel it like I do, but Drea, I feel like I'm part of your "sisters" group. You know, I've always said if there's a group of sisters that I could have in my life, it'd be the Critchfields...you girls are the best. And with everything you have been going through (and i don't even know everything) I just know how amazing you all are and how much love I have for YOU!! Love you, Love Ang, love Ash and Annie, and LOVE your Mamma. You've inspired me to start getting healthier! Thanks Drea!

Dezaree said...

You guys rock! Seriously! You need to post some pics of you!