Saturday, March 15, 2008

6 weeks down...


I've made it through my first six weeks of teaching at the hygiene school, and I have to say, I am enjoying it more than I thought! At first it was a big adjustment for me. I was completely exhausted the first few weeks, especially on Wed. night when I would get home. I leave at around 6:00'ish and don't get home until about 7pm so it's a long day! Thursdays are great because I am in the morning clinic until about 12:30 and then the rest of the day is mine. It's a nice schedule. The students made it through hand-washing, cubicle disinfection, hydrium and LISA operations, extra-oral/inta-oral exams, and now moving on to their first instrument - the probe. This is where they actually start going what we call "sub-g" or below the gumline. Woo hoo! They are all practicing on each other at this point, and I told them all to go see the movie, "There Will be Blood." hee hee

I am noticing that as a whole, the group is very quick and sharp. But just like anything in life, there are a few who are going to make things a bit difficult at times.

I have already signed on to teach in the second semester this summer, so I am very excited that I will continue on with my group to see their progress as they start working on REAL patients.

I think the most rewarding part for me, is to see someone have a "light bulb" moment where something really clicks and they get it. It's very gratifying to know that I am making a difference to that one person in that moment. I am already feeling like a proud mommy of the students and it's only been six-weeks!






5 comments:

Lexie & Sharrid said...

I keep wondering how you're doing, I know you're busy and can't post everyday like some of us...ha

Sheri said...

Drea, seriously...you are good at everything you do! You are one of the most positive, intelligent, happy women I know...you just made dental school sound interesting! I want to be in your class...

Dezaree said...

I am so happy that you have done so well. I know how exhausted you have been because of it, but it seems to be paying off. You're a very awesome person....wish I had you for a teacher. Miss your guts! We will be home late Tuesday night. So we will have to get together soon. Love ya!

Kristen said...

Wow, 6 weeks already, huh? That has gone by very fast!! :) I am so glad you are enjoying it!!!

Trina said...

DReeaa! How cool for you! I bet you are such an awesome teacher! Where is the school here? Is it new? Good luck with the rest of the semester and next!