Friday, January 25, 2008

Ms. Boles?!?



I will be starting a new endeavor in my career Feb. 6th. I was hired a couple of months ago by Rio Salado's College of Dental Hygiene as a clinical instructor. I am really excited and yet a little nervous! Over the last couple of weeks I have been attending calibration meetings and orientation for pre-clinic which is the clinic I will be teaching in, along with 3 other instructors. It's very surreal stepping out onto the clinic floor now as an instructor and not a student! Rio's dental hygiene school holds a place in my heart since it is where I graduated from in 2000. Even when I was going through the program, I always new I would teach someday but wasn't sure when. You have to have atleast 5 years experience in clinical practice to teach. Last night I came home with a stack of books and a few HUGE manuals I have to read through. I will be demonstrating "hand washing and PPE"(personal protective equipment) on the first day of clinic.
I know that this new adventure will help me to grow as a clinician and as a person. I am very passionate about the profession of dental hygiene and I hope as a teacher I will be able to create value in people's lives, as this is one of my personal goals in 2008. Here's to a very "educational" year!

12 comments:

Sheri said...

Wow- that's great. You'll be awesome! If you can teach 4-5 year-olds surely teaching college kids should be a breeze :)

Kristen said...

Drea!!! How exciting!! Congrats!! You'll be a great teacher! Best of luck!!!!

Angela said...

This will be such a fun new challenge for you! I'm sure the students will love you (as everyone does) and will have so much to learn from. You're like dad that way, one of the best at what you do! =) Love you!

Angela said...

oh, and just a side note... you were up at 5:47 this morning??

Lexie & Sharrid said...

DREA, sweet deal, so will you no longer be working for your dad, or will you do it all?

Christy said...

Congrats Drea - good luck! What a fun adventure! You are so brave to try something like this!

Dezaree said...

I am so proud of you! You will be awesome at this. We are very excited for you. I am completely.... jealous....for lack of a better word, because you have found your passion. Me on the other hand....not so much. I can't make up my mind. There are too many things I want to do, but at least I graduated. :). Good luck and let us know how the first day goes. You will do great!!!!!

Adria said...

thats so great drea!! congratulations, i'm so happy and excited for you! good luck.

Drea said...

Some of you have asked - I will still continue to work on Tues. for my dad, so I will be working 3 days a week. Busy, but worth it.

OurHappyFamily said...

You go girl!!! You will be so awesome. What lucky girls to have you to learn from!

Methodical Wormer said...

That is so cool and exciting. My sister is looking into going to Dental Hygenist school, would you mind chatting with her sometime about it?

Trina said...

Haaa! Drea that is sweeeet! You will a fabulous teacher!! I would want to be one of your students:)
Good Luck!!