Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I'm back!!


So I know, I know, it's been FOREVER!! I have definately had an interesting year so far. I can't believe that on Wed. next week it will be APRIL! Spring is here and it feels WONDERFUL in Phoenix :)

I have debated whether to blog about my latest experience and trial that I have been going through, but I have decided that I will. Who knows, it just may help someone else....because I know that I have been helped along the way SO MUCH by others' experiences.

On Feb. 16, 2009, I found out that I was pregnant and that we were expecting our first child. I couldn't believe it! After YEARS of trying, you can imagine how elated Jason and I both were. All week long, that's all we could talk about - planning, imagining, and hoping for all things good for our new little bundle.

5 days later I had some pain and spotting and knew something wasn't right. I called my doctor, who is an AMAZING man, and he told me to come in the next day for an ultrasound. By then I was 6 weeks along and he said that we may even be able to hear a heartbeat if everything was ok.
Well, when they did the ultrasound, there was nothing in my uterus. They were puzzled. They then checked the ovaries and fallopian tubes, and saw a large mass on my left tube. The Dr. told me that it wasn't good news. In one sentence my life would change. He said, "It looks like the pregnancy is ectopic (tubal), and we will have to operate to remove the fetus and we have to do it tonight because this is life threatening to YOU."

I haven't cried that hard in a LONG time. I was admitted to Banner Desert hospital about 2 hours later and had a c-section type surgery at about 9pm that night on Mon. Feb 23rd.

Just to explain, an ectopic or tubal pregnancy is when the embryo attaches to the inside of the fallopian tube instead of floating down to inside the uterus and attaching there like it's supposed to. As the fetus begins to grow, the tube expands like a balloon. This is why I was feeling sharp stabbing pains. Sometimes, the tube can actually rupture and you could bleed internally. If not caught in time, it can be deadly.

That night before the surgery, a sweet friend and her husband came to the hospital so he and Jason could give me a blessing. I felt such peace and comfort from the blessing, knowing that my Heavenly Father was aware of my situation, and would take care of me. The one thing that stood out to me in the blessing was that "angels will assist the Dr's with your surgery, and all will go well." He also blessed me to have patience and that we would have our children in the Lord's time.
The surgery went extremely well. In fact, a 45 minute surgery turned into an almost 2 hour one because the doctor found a few more things - a few blockages on the OTHER tube, and a couple uterine cysts that he was able to remove as well.

One thing that Jason said to me before the surgery was, it's just hard thinking about a baby being in there, but just being in the wrong place. :(

THE GOOD NEWS!! Yes, I will ALWAYS look for the good news in everything! My wonderful Dr. was able to save BOTH tubes, which is so great! It will take 6 months for everything to heal fully and properly, but now I will have 2 unblocked tubes. This could've been the problem in the first place.

I have learned a TREMENDOUS amount during this difficult trial. I have learned PATIENCE - especailly while trying to recover from a major surgery. It's amazing that after this long, I could still be weak and very sore. I have learned APPRECIATION - for an amazing Dr. who fixed me, for medical technologies, and kind nurses who took care of my for 3 days at the hospital. I also have a new appreciation for my mom and the fact that she had 5 c-sections. I have learned to LEARN FROM OTHERS EXPERIENCES - I keep asking her, how did you recover from major surgery with other little kids running around? Were you ever normal again? She always laughs and tells me yes! I promise you will! The other thing that amazes me, is how many women have gone through this and have had miscarriages and they go on to have as many kids as they want! I have been comforted by ALL those who have shared their experiences of surgery, ectopic pregnancies, miscarriages, and losing pregnancies for whatever reason. I thank the Lord everyday for the comfort that I am not alone in this. I have learned that THERE ARE ANGELS AMONG US - that are not only from the other side of the veil, but all around us here on earth. My angels have been my family, my sweet friends, my co-workers, my ward family, and all others who have been there for both Jason and I. I have learned that I am GRATEFUL FOR ALL THAT I HAVE! I could never thank everyone enough for the phone calls, flowers, cards, emails, visits, dinners, and everything else that has helped carry me through this time. I am going to be stronger for it, and I couldn't have done it without all those around me who I love.

I have learned that I HAVE A WONDERFUL HUSBAND - J has been there for me through all of this. It broke my heart more, knowing his heart was breaking into pieces as was mine. But we have even grown closer because of it. Jason stayed with me all 3 days in the hospital and slept on the uncomfortable recliner for both nights in my tiny room so I wouldn't have to be alone. That meant more to me than he will ever know. I love him so much and couldn't imagine going through this without him.

I have complete HOPE and FAITH that we will have the family we so desire one day, and it will be so sweet.

15 comments:

Angela said...

Yay, I'm so excited to be the first to comment on your first post "back"! =)

And what a great post! I'm so glad that you decided to share your experience. It is so true that we can find comfort in knowing that others have gone through similar things, and SURVIVED! And even gone on to do and be better! You're a trooper and I'm sure will help many because of what you've had to face. I hope you just keep feeling better and getting stronger every day and that "normal" will come quickly for you! I know it will come! =)

You're going to be the best mommy!!

Adria said...

Sweet Drea! I am so sorry you guys had to go thru that! What a wonderful example you are for seeing the bright side of things! I hope you continue to recover well and hope that everything works out for you! We need to get together for a girls day..I keep saying this and never make the move to plan it:) Thank you for letting us read your thoughts!

Anne LoGrasso said...

Drea, thank you so much for posting. I am so so sorry. I know ectopics are just extra difficult physically and emotionally to recover from. Will be praying for you, and it's so good to hear from you again. Love you girly!

Sheri said...

I knew something happened, but didn't know any details. I am so sorry. And so sorry that I didn't call. You are one of my favorite all-time people (seriously, you're in my top 10). One of my favorite things about you is your positive attitude and how you bring sunshine wherever you go.

I've had a c-section. I'm so sorry. You must be emotionally and physically drained. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

I am amazed by your positive outlook through this ordeal--my heart just broke for you when I found out what happened--I can't think of anyone that deserves more to be parents and I know you guys will make wonderful ones someday (SOON!!)and that you will appreciate all of the wonderful things about pregnancy and motherhood that all the rest of us losers just complain about. Your kids will be so lucky to have a mother that went through so much to have them!! I hope you continue to feel better and better and that six months goes by REALLY fast for you :) I'm so glad we got to get together and we need to be sure to do it MORE OFTEN!! I need your babysitting prowess!! give me a call when you guys might be available :) LOVE YOU!!

OurHappyFamily said...

You're back... YES!!! What a wonderful post! I was happy to see that you decided to share your experience. This has been not only an extremely "trying" time in your life, but a time of growth. You amaze me more and more every day. You will be a wonderful mother and will be able to bless the lives of many b/c of what you've gone through.

Love ya... xoxo (Oh Awva... I had to throw that in)

TERRI said...

Drea--I'm so sorry to hear of the loss. It must be awful to go through that~ however, I'm thrilled that the Dr. was so fantastic! Both tubes are working now, so you'll probably get pg very easily. It's just amazing the things they can do nowadays! Good Luck! love ya, Terri

Cortney said...

Drea, We are so happy that you are doing good. Ectopic pregnancies are a scary thing. I too have had an ectopic pregnancy. I am so happy that your doctor caught yours in time to save your tube. It is a blessing! You will be a great mother someday! We love you guys.
Cortney Critchfield

Christy said...

What courage it takes to post an experience like this... I will always admire your courage! It's so great to see you smiling again... I knew this experience couldn't drag you down for long, you have so much happiness to share with the world! Isn't blogging about this kind of stuff such great therapy?

The Zemp Family said...

I'm so happy that you could see the silver lining in this situation. I'm so sorry for your loss I can't imagine how hard that would be, but congratulations on getting pregnant in the first place that must bring some hope. Let me know if I can do anything. P.S. You will recover and feel normal again even if that seems impossible. C-Sections can be really difficult, but like most really hard things they do pass. Good luck you are in my prayers!:)

Patti said...

Sing the following to the tune of Bye Bye Birdie...
We love you Drea, Oh yes we do-oo.
We love you Drea and we'll be true-ue.
When you're not near us, we're blue.
Oh Drea, we love you.

We love Jason (and Will) too and we are so glad you're doing better. You're strong and brave. Of course you are, you're Drea.

Can we please get together. I know we basically moved out to New Mexico, but we are willing to pack up the car and make the 20 minute drive to see you guys. Have you even seen our new mini Eric?

TERRI said...

Drea, my mom just told me about what happened. I'm so sorry. I want you to know that I'm praying for you guys. I know you will be a wonderful mother. You are so good with kids. I know what it's like waiting for a baby, and now this. It's hard to put your trust in Heavenly Father, and rely on his judgement of when it will be your time, but this will just make you cherish motherhood soo much more. It helps me to have more patience when I think of how long it took us and what we went through to get Kolby and Mal here. You have always had such faith that I've admired. I know your time will come. I'm glad that the doctor's found this in time, and now hopefully you guys shouldn't have any more trouble. I hope that you're feeling better. Pleeeease call me. I'll be in town until Saturday.

Kristi said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this, but I'm happy how well everything went with the surgery & all. My first pregnancy didn't go well either, but my experience was nothing like yours! Thanks for sharing and I've got my fingers crossed for you next time!

Jackie Skousen said...

Drea, we are sorry for what you and Jason just went though, we will keep you in our prayers for a speedy recovery, it's great that your doctor was able to clear both tubes and that everything went well during surgery. Recovering is not easy (Jacob was a c-section) rest tons and you'll feel better much faster.
We love you and appreciate you sharing this experience with us.
I need to get your email from Angela so I can add you to our blog.

The Spencers said...

Drea! I had no idea you were going through all this - what a testimony to God's precious peace that surpasses all understanding your post is! Thank you for sharing and know that you will be in our prayers!