Thursday, July 24, 2008

Jury Duty




Yesterday I had the lovely opportunity of serving my community by being a trial juror. I was really nervous that I would be selected because I knew that today I was working almost 12 hours at the school and had special tutoring sessions lined up that have taken weeks to schedule.
When I first got there, we had to watch a short video on the whole process and then you just sit and wait for your name to be called. About an hour later they put in Miss Congeniality for whoever wanted to watch it, and I was so excited about that! I love that movie! Then about 30 minutes into the movie, my name was called along with about 40 other people to go up to a courtroom to possibly be selected for a jury. The process was very long, with tons of questions from the judge and attorneys. It took the rest of the day until about 3:30 just to select the jury! The whole process was very interesting, and had it been one of my days off for the trial, I would've loved to have seen the outcome. However, since I told the judge about how when I was 11 years old I was shot in the hand by my neighbor and thought the whole thing was handled poorly by the police, I was excused. YEAH!!
Some jobs will pay their employees for jury duty, but not with my schedule. It's great working part-time, but I have no benefits, vacation time, or personal time to take. If I don't work, I don't get paid, so the days I do work are very precious!
I think my favorite part of the day was hearing people's excuses for why they could not serve on a jury. I realized a lot of the general public are morons ( I already knew this) but the guy that exclaimed, "I don't believe in the justice system" almost got a laugh out loud from me. I was grateful to do my duty for one day and am glad it's over! :)

8 comments:

Dezaree said...

I am so glad that you were able to get out of it. I totally thought that you were joking that you got shot. haha.

Adria said...

ahh, i always have nightmares about getting called to jurry duty and it being a murder trial...putting the guy in prison and then his mob friends coming after everyone who put his compadre in prison!! i hope i never get called!!!
anyway, i got the dresses at a boutique called crismons boutique. it's over in mesa on university! the dresses were all $23-30 bucks, which is super cheep for a boutique and for dresses as cute as the ones they have!

Sheri said...

I always get out of jury duty, even though I think it would be interesting to get chosen.

You're going to have to tell me the hand story.

Luv,
Your friend from YW

Misha said...

It's about time! I wondered what had happened to you. Glad you got out of jury duty.

Angela said...

What a good citizen. Sounds like a day I could use. =) haha Glad you didn't have to miss work though. I hope you can make it out here in August.

Check out my pictures of Ashlee and the kids at imcapturingmoments@blogspot.com

Annie said...

haha sounds like you had just as much fun as I did spending the day in court! Ok now you are going to make me cry because of your last little comment so thanks! Yeah I will definitely be updating mine more after now so that everyone can just check out how things are going. It's going to be quite different not going over every sunday for dinner and stuff....what ever will you guys do without me? : )

Unknown said...

DUDE!!! DREA!!! You are so impressing me with your multiple posting!! WAY TO GO!!! I'm glad you could pick out the interesting part of jury duty and wasn't whining about the "failure of the justice system..." WAY To be a good citizen!!!!

Methodical Wormer said...

"I don't believe in the justice system" -- ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! What a freak show. Honestly. If people really listened to themselves they would realize how stupid they are.