Sunday, October 9, 2011

Day 21-28 and Realizations

My absolute favorite recipe of the week. Braised greens with butternut squash - so good!! I will post the recipe this week. If you have a hard time eating your leafy greens, this is the way to do it! So yummy!

This was our "mock" Lucy Casserole that is usually made with sausage, white rice, and chicken broth. So we "veganed" it up and used a faux sausage made from veggies, and soy, brown rice, and vegetable broth. I liked it, Jason didn't. Jason said he wanted the real thing. Ok, so we won't be making this one again. I might make it when I'm home by myself and wanting some "comfort food".

This week was insanely busy, so that's why this is my only post for the week. Here are some realizations I've had this week:

- Have we really been doing this for 4 weeks now?? Wow!! We have done it! 1 month!
- People have asked me if I will continue this lifestyle after the 3 months is over. I have thought about this a lot. So many of the things I have incorporated will stick with me - they have become habit now. Will I never have some shrimp or crab again? No, I can say I will. Will I never have a treat again or some turkey on Thanksgiving? No, I can say I will. But it's amazing the changes Jason and I have seen already, and the knowledge we are gaining about our health. I am loving this challenge!
- I have realized that this is getting easier and not so hard anymore. I am looking at it as more of a project now - a fun project. I'm loving making new recipes and finding what works.
- I love cooked kale and swiss chard - yummy!!! I have never had cooked kale or anything else besides cooked spinach. If you have never tried, you have to! It's so worth it for you health!
- Most people think that to get enough Calcium in their diet they have to "drink or eat dairy". That's not true. Did you know that most dark leafy green vegetables have more calcium in them than a serving of dairy? This blows my mind, and I love it when I am drinking my green smoothie, I know that I am getting so many vitamins, minerals, and those healthy phytochemicals.
- Probably about 60-70% of my patients that I see in my office are on some sort of cholesterol lowering medication, and high blood pressure medication. Both of these health issues are directly related to heart disease - something that I never want to have and I definitely don't want Jason to develop. It's TOTALLY preventable with eating a plant based diet - period.
- I made it through my first movie theatre experience WITHOUT movie theatre popcorn. Are you serious people???? Anyone that knows me, KNOWS that I am in love with movie theatre popcorn - the oily buttery goodness of it all. Oh boy, but now that I know the serious health precautions with eating this, it makes me think twice. So, we air popped our own popcorn, spritzed a little "I can't believe it's not butter" spray on, and sprinkled Molly Mcbutter - which is all fat free. We each had our own GALLON ziploc bag full, and I brought an orange for my "something sweet"! It was so delightful, and I didn't miss a thing! I am so proud of ourselves - normally we would share a large popcorn with butter and bring candy of our choice. This is huge for us. WOO HOO!!!!

I am still amazed by Jason's dedication to this. He went to a Diamondbacks game this week and had a veggie burrito, but it had cheese he realized as he was eating it. He also had a 1/2 of a chocolate chip cookie. The next 2 days, he said that his stomach was "ripped up". He realizes how GOOD he feels eating better - this is awesome!

This week: I am making a few new recipes this week....including some from the Dr. Oz home that was featured in Oprah's magazine. I will be trying the vegetable quinoa with fresh herbs, and the lentils with chia seeds. I will return and report :)

I also want to thank EVERYONE for the AMAZING support through this so far. I have been really surprised at people's help with recipes, and just supportive comments. I have to be honest, I expected to hear some comments such as, " You are doing a vegan diet? That's stupid." Or, "how can you do that? That's impossible!" I have not heard one negative thing.... Seriously! Thank you to all of my friends and family. You are such awesome supporters!!

Lots of love! :)

3 comments:

Angela said...

YaY! I was finally able to get on your blog! I'm definitely going to get back on here when I have the time to write down the recipes. I am starting my BL competition next week and I'm so excited to start using these recipes and ask you for some tips on what to eat! I can't wait to feel what I know you're feeling!! I'd start right now but I'd really like to have it be apart of my competition so I can win some money while feeling good! =) But I'm SOOO ready! Can't wait for next week!

Sheri said...

You are awesome! I need to try some of those recipes.

Dezaree said...

It's amazing the things that you can do once you set your mind to it. I am so impressed with both of you. This can't be an easy thing to do. I know eventually get and I are going to try this for a bit. But I keep coming up with excuses for us not to. I need to be around you more to follow your example. You're awesome!!!